Lausanne impress again on Day 1 at FIBA 3x3 World Tour Europe Masters 2020
DEBRECEN (Hungary) - Lausanne (SUI) had a perfect 2-0 record on the opening day of the FIBA 3x3 Europe Masters on September 4, 2020.
The 14th team in the world Lausanne continued to play well in Debrecen for the return of the FIBA 3x3 World Tour. Just like Tuesday at the Hungary Masters, the Swiss team once again beat Liman (SRB), the number one team in the world, led by 9 points courtesy of the marksman Marco Lehmann. But unlike 3 days ago, Lausanne followed up with a second W to secure a spot in the quarter-finals on a Tissot Buzzer Beater from long range from Westher Molteni. Molteni and Gilles Martin combined for 17 points in the win against Ulaanbaatar MMC Energy (MGL).
Two more teams had a clean sweep on Day 1:
- The Debrecen Masters winners Riga (LAT) continued their hot form against Piran (SLO) and Debrecen (HUN),
- The number 6 team in the world Sakiai Gulbele (LTU) had a miserable 0-4 record after 2 Masters. They turned things around on Friday with 4 straight wins (2 in the qualifying draw and 2 in the pools against the world's 4th ranked team NY Harlem (USA) and the World Tour 2017 winners Zemun (SRB).
Riga vs. Piran (SLO) was an absolute nail-biter and the Slovenians had 2 game points from behind the arc in the last seconds. But the Hungary Masters MVP Karlis Lasmanis was clutch in the money time. He took Anze Srebovt one-and-one and buried the step-back just inside the arc. The man known as 'Batman' and his 'Robin' sidekick Nauris Miezis both had 6 in the game.
Ever heard of the player value? This is the 3x3 metric for a player’s statistical contribution on the court.
- The Sakiai Gulbele (LTU) sharpshooter Sarunas Vingelis led all players with 21.1 in 2 games. He hit an impressive 6/11 from outside the arc and also topped all scorers with 18 points overall.
- Nauris Miezis (Riga, LAT) ranked second with 18.8 with 12 points, 8 highlights and 8 rebounds in the pool stage.
- Daniil Abramovski (Gagarin, RUS) was third with 18.5. He scored 15 points on 100% from behind the arc.
- 23-year-old Attila Demeter (Debrecen, HUN) led all players with 11 highlights on Day 1. The number 1 player in the world Dusan Bulut (Novi Sad, SRB) was second with 8.
- Riga had the Tissot Fastest Game of the day with an undisputed 21-12 win vs. Debrecen (HUN), which finished with 2'57" left on the game clock.
- Sakiai Gulbele star Aurelijus Pukelis was in 'Julio Jones' mode. He was catching everything, including 19 rebounds in just 2 games (the second in the category Marcelo Esonwune (NY Harlem, USA) had 13).
- Speaking of Esonwune, he had 4 blocks, none better than this one.
View this post on Instagram
Stay up-to-date on the official website: worldtour.fiba3x3.com
Fans can watch the livestream on youtube.com/FIBA3x3, follow the exclusive coverage on all @FIBA3x3 social media channels and join the conversation with the official hashtag #3x3WT.